Reese Witherspoon To Play The Pioneer Woman On The Big Screen?!

by anna on March 18, 2010

pioneer woman movie

According to a small article in Deadline New York this morning, the rights to Ree Drummond’s life story have been optioned by Columbia Pictures for a motion picture starring Reese Witherspoon. The Pioneer Woman (The Movie) is to be a romantic comedy that tells the tail about how Ree Drummond’s “tour on a roadtrip from Los Angeles to Chicago led her to Oklahoma, met the cowboy of her dreams and transformed from spoiled city girl to domestic ranch wife.” (Never mind the bit about how Ree Drummond is originally from Oklahoma, but whatever.) Apparently, the movie already has producers on board, and was part of a deal worked out for Drummond’s forthcoming book, Black Heels To Tractor Wheels (William Morrow, February 2011). The article claims that the film will “explore the fantasy of trading big city living for a wholesome simpler life,” which if experience has taught me anything, means I’m going to see another upsurge in hits to my website from “Ree Drummond Fake” google searches (yeah, don’t ask, because I cannot explain it, either).

P-Dub said she’d get back to me with the answers to some of my pestering questions about the deal after she got done “cutting down cedar trees all afternoon. You heard me.” LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Kerry March 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

Well, rock on, Pioneer Woman. Clearly she’s doing something right.

anna March 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

Yes! So exciting. I cannot wait to find out how much she’ll actually be able to reveal about the deal. Though probably not very much. I’m going to totally plug Sean as her hairstylist for the premiere, though.

beth aka confusedhomemaker March 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

Good for her, she knows how to work it. Then again I like her overall. Something about her is just likable to me. Can’t explain it.

Eliz March 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I don’t know – color me a cynic, especially now that the trailer for “Eat, Love, Pray” is everywhere. (I’m not a fan of the book but I do know many who are who are still livid that Julia Roberts got the role, and then there was the recent “Time Traveler’s Wife,” which fans also found lukewarm.) Turning a book (even a yet-unpublished) book into a movie is so rife with disappointment. Instead of simply enjoying Reese and her Marlboro Man, all the hullabaloo will be about how close it came to portraying Ree’s real life, what mistakes the filmmakers made, etc. And I know that’s not the point here, on this blog. It’s a huge deal to see a blog become a movie. That’s something even multiple book-writing Jen Lancaster hasn’t done, and until Dooce and HGTV, that was probably the biggest “blogger-turned-X” success story the blogging world could claim.

I already feel bad for Ree because every movie review will say the same thing, that it’s too similar to Reese’s role in “SWA.”

Still, huge. Major props to P-Dub.

anna March 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Well, P-Dub has already won, IMO: the book deal, the movie deal with A-list, oscar winning actress (probably) attached. It doesn’t matter, really, if it’s not a good movie or get bad reviews. Her fans will go see it, and I’m sure it will be a commercial success.

LC March 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Aww, I think this is sweet. I can suspend my disbelief about Reese/Pioneer Woman for a nice love story.

bigjobsboard March 21, 2010 at 3:53 am

Well, i think this movie will be a hit! It’s really exciting to know that Witherspoon has a movie coming up.

Ginger December 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

You don’t know why people would type in “Ree Drummond fake” in their search engines? It’s because people know she wasn’t out there cutting down those cedar trees. Only a few of her readers also know that she makes well over $3,000,000 a year in ad revenue. Yes, three million dollars, and that’s an old number from when she was only getting ten million hits a month compared to the 22 million we keep hearing every time she’s on a talk show. So why is she fake? The doctor’s daughter grew up a rich kid on a country club golf course and married into the richest ranching and oil family in Oklahoma. She wasn’t a big city girl; she only spent a short time of her life in L.A. when she was in college and now lives 45 minutes away from her childhood home in Oklahoma. She has nannies and housekeepers and a full staff of others to help run the household. She tries to portray herself as a city girl trying to figure out how to live without running water, when really she lives in pampered luxury most city people can only dream of. The Black Heels story she wrote is about as boring as anybody’s story of how they met their significant others. There’s nothing interesting about it in the least. It’s not even well written. I’m sure she’ll get a few million dollars more that her destitute family needs so they can get some fancy indoor plumbing for their little shack (check out the opening of her Throwdown episode to see the obscenely huge house, not to be confused with the equally huge guest house) in exchange for her dull story, but if they want to make a movie that anyone would want to see, they’re going to have to change EVERYTHING except the false concept of spoiled big city girl/hard working rancher.

anna December 11, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Yeah, everybody who looks at her pictures can tell they are wealthy. It is not a secret, and anybody who wants to do a google search can figure out the rest. I don’t really understand why people are so mystified by this. What is she supposed to do? Announce on her website that she is wealthy? Why is this such a problem for people? I can understand not liking the website, or feeling like the story is hackneyed or whatever, but to call her “fake” for not submitting the particulars of her socioeconomic status in detail seems a little unreasonable to me.

Kerry December 12, 2010 at 5:48 am

This boggles me every time I see it. I don’t read PW regularly, but I’ve never seen her claim to be broke, so I don’t get how being well-off makes her fake.

I HAVE seen her claim to live in a rural area, and that appears to be…not fake.

I did a search for the part where she supposedly claims to be “trying to figure out how to live without running water” and I couldn’t find that either.

Again, I don’t read her, so I don’t care that much…I just don’t get why people hate someone for having money. I like people with money. They’re the ones who hire me, and then I get money too, and then I get groceries. Yay groceries!